Sunday 26 March 2017

Mothers’ Day 2017

Mothers’ Day dawns bright and sunny.  The weather does not reflect my mood as my back aches and my sciatic nerve is twanging;  my head is muzzy - and that does not reflect my nickname of Muzz. I blame the changing of the clocks last night…or maybe it’s just the day  itself with its connotations.  Whatever, I feel out of sorts.

Our son-in-law and a couple of friends send greetings and love which is lovely and makes me emotional. It takes me all morning to get my act together and start to feel more in command again. The flowers my husband bought for me before the weekend are beautiful.  Two very different arrangements. I look at them as one from our son, the other from our daughter.  The grief over her recent loss stirs the former so many years ago and the loss becomes doubly heavy. He tells me he gave them to me because he loves me.  Whatever the reason, I am delighted to have them.

















But onward - one foot in front of the other, as ever…

We had planned to go out for the whole day, south of Verdun, but with the day rapidly disappearing we take an afternoon drive instead heading north with Port Plaisance at Stenay our destination.

Of course Spring happens every year yet I am always surprised and delighted to see the new growth when the countryside looks new again.  So many shades of green, blossom mostly in white, yellow and pink - butterflies…today we saw yellow, blue and red ones to brighten our way.  Forested hills, open countryside, small, ancient villages, several small rivers, the larger Meuse, Canal Est, lakes - and all the water reflecting the sunshine and blue sky.  Gradually that good-to-be-alive feeling shakes off numbness. 

We take a stroll and sit by the River Meuse at Stenay.  There are a few anglers but none seem to be catching, but it’s not a bad way to while away a few hours. However, I prefer to look around and listen to the birds.




















































We are pleased to find the café/bar open and sit outside in the sun which is surprisingly hot - can’t believe it was so recently we’ve had to wrap up to avoid low temperatures and chill winds.  The biere blanche went down well. We returned home via a different yet no less scenic route.





French and German friendship defending the peace.

Peace.


This evening I think of my mother - she was kind, loving, practical, hard-working, talented with sewing, knitting and crochet needles, a musical voice and good-spirited. She nurtured me and taught me much.  I go to look at the tapestries she stitched so well - one is of reflections on a lake, another a mother and child walking by a river and the third a bunch of colourful flowers…coincidence or fate that they are so linked to today’s sights? God bless you, Mum.

Then the questioning returns - who will inherit them now?

No comments:

Post a Comment