Saturday 26 December 2015

Boxing Day 2015.

Of course the French do not have Boxing Day but we, being English, will always think of December 26th in that way and that it is often a day for walking, if the weather is kind.

Today is mild with pleasant sunshine shining from a blue sky.  Not particularly seasonal but very welcome after so many grey, damp days.

We take a short stroll to the edge-of-town "green lane".  We sit on a bench at the top of a path and I leave my husband there to rest his bad knee while I walk a little further, as far as my back will allow...what a couple of old crocks we have become!  On my return he decided to head for home.  I opted to stay a bit longer, pretend the surroundings are our garden - something we do not have unfortunately.

Due to yet more "technogrief" (see a previous blog post) I am unable to upload photos from my camera to my computer and thence to my blog...so it hardly seems worth taking any.  I left my camera at home and hope instead to find the right words to describe the picture...

I sit on a bench
raise my face to the sun
bask in its gentle warmth
Nearby a clear and sparkling
brook babbles its hurry
I look across an expanse
of bright green fields
towards the dark shapes
of forested hills on the horizon
birds chirrup and cheep
I hear the tap-tapping
of an unseen woodpecker
Upwards dark, bare branches
leave traceries against the blue
A light breeze suddenly soothes
my face, like an answered prayer.

2 comments:

  1. So peaceful, and your words paint a delightful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the air of peace came across and that the picture was clear! Many thanks, Alison.

    ReplyDelete